Saturday, April 11, 2009

Student Reflections: Aaron Ashton

New York, the UN, and Great People!

We began our trip on Tuesday morning; at 4:30 a.m., hardly anyone was awake. After struggling with placing our luggage in the van and Laura’s small sedan, we headed out. Sleep filled my body and I woke up to a Greyhound bus stop in White River Junction, Vermont. Our group had a long trip ahead of them. We would have to travel from Vermont to Massachusetts, to New Hampshire, through Connecticut, and finally to New York City, New York. Most of us slept in the semi-comfortable seats while I laughed at our stern bus driver. He would honk and holler at cars that wouldn’t move and after the bellow of the horn was through, a few people would open their irritated eyes.
We arrived in New York around 4:00 p.m. and rushed to get ready to go to the welcoming ceremony at 6:00 p.m. Although we had some miscommunication on when to meet for our departure, we made it in time for the ceremony. Our group was happy to be at the UN and for many of us it was the first time at the headquarters.
Over the next few days I worked in the third committee. There were over 150 delegations present in my committee and it was somewhat difficult to have my voice heard but I soon sponsored a paper dealing with improving emergency response through humanitarian reform.
I made many friends and I now can count to over one hundred in German! This was a great opportunity and I hope to be back next year! I am thankful towards Green Mountain College for funding my trip and towards Paul for dealing with my crazy antics.

Aaron Ashton
“Double AA”

No comments:

Post a Comment